|Terminals||Service Area||Forms||Request Info||Get BOL/POD||History|
Shortly after the Civil War ended, John Teal-great grandfather of the current owners- and his son Nicholas began to operate a freight and passenger service in the sparsely populated Adirondack Region of New York State. Although they met with early success, Nicholas' keen sense of business trading could not compensate for his lack of ability to read and write, and that forced him into an early bankruptcy, a choice he had little direction over.
By 1926 Nicholas' son John, who had retained
his father's business prowess, was able to amass enough money to
purchase back the local trucking company his father had started and John
then began operating weekly trips into the Utica area. When business
was slow he would take his team of horses and plow gardens in the
spring and then city streets in the winter. By 1928 he was making daily
trips to and from Utica and the Teal name became synonymous with
honesty and efficient work habits.
Around 1934 a major influx of new business came with contract authority to haul paper from Lyons Falls Paper Mills into the Post-Standard Newspaper in Syracuse, NY. This new contract became the basis for additional work in the Central New York Region and provided a base account for Teal's Express to grow on.
By 1951 Teal's Express had expanded their authority into the Watertown and Dexter areas of New York. All family members, including Mrs. Teal, were enlisted to help the business grow and prosper. Many local shop owners would give John the keys to their stores so he could deliver food and produce at night, and, because of his reputation for honesty and integrity, they never had to worry about theft or any unreported O.S.&D. problems.
In December of 1962 John Teal Sr. passed away but the business continued on with his wife Mary and three sons, John, Robert, and Edward as well as their two daughters, Mary and Shirley. Today, the third generation offspring are actively helping to run the company and have assumed management positions throughout the system. In 1976, their authority was extended into the Syracuse area and four years later expanded again to service the Albany, Rochester, and Massena areas of New York State.
In 1990, Teal's again expanded their operation and began to service the Buffalo marketplace and concurrently received their Canadian authority to begin their International operations. In 1992, Teal's enlarged their service territory again and began to provide daily service throughout the Northeast with strategically based operations in Massachusetts, Pennsylvania and New Jersey.
The year 2000 welcomed a new State-of-the-Art Maintenance facility for Teal's at their Utica, NY break-bulk terminal, the central hub terminal for the company. This newest facility is located adjacent to the Utica Terminal, which is strategically located off exit 31 of the New York State Thruway.
This maintenance facility includes three drive-through service bays, one tractor service bay, and one drive-through wash bay. The facility is equipped to service, repair and maintain all of the Teal equipment and will provide 24-hour service for maximum efficiency.
The truckload division, T&D Transportation, recently moved their main office to the Teal's facility at 7025 Schuyler Road in East Syracuse. Yard and terminal accommodations were made and this integration of services allows maximum flexibility for both companies to consistently meet customer needs and requirements.
With this latest expansion Teal's is now servicing the Northeast Region with consistent and dependable service. Teal's Express continues to remain a family owned business and its name still reflects the honesty and integrity that it did back in the first half of the century.
The Teal family and their employees extend their appreciation to all the many loyal customers who have helped Teal's Express become a recognized leader in the transportation industry today.
Back to the homepage....